03 Mar Chicken Chowder for the Soul
Show comfort and support to those you care for with this quick to prepare, warm Chicken Chowder. Assembled using canned and prepackaged ingredients, you can have a pot made in no time. Double the recipe to share.
Prep time 10 min., Cook time 20 min.
Wildaire’s Old Vine Riesling would be a wonderful accompaniment to this soothing chowder.
- 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano
- 1 14 oz can of quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1½ to 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts cut in to small pieces
- 1 sweet onion chopped small (1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- package saffron rice
- olive oil
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in soup pot.
- Add chicken, onion, garlic and cook until chicken is completely done.
- Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and add bay leaves, red peppers, fresh ground black pepper
- Simmer until heated through.
- While chowder cooks, prepare rice according to package directions.
- Discard bay leaves
- Ladle chowder into soup bowls and top with a large scoop of rice.
Substitutions and Variations:
In Season – use fresh tomatoes, 2 Tbs chopped fresh basil, 1 Tbs chopped fresh oregano
Vegetarian – substitute 2 cans of great northern white beans, drained and use vegetable stock
This recipe is gluten free
Recipe Author: www.TastingPour.com